Monday, June 30, 2014

Jersey Boys


Jersey Boys
Rated R (for rough language throughout)
Run time: 2 hours 14 minutes

The film tells the story of the four men who came together and formed the music group The Four Seasons. It deals with their ups and downs throughout the groups history.

It is based on the successful, Tony award winning Broadway stage musical of the same name. It is directed by Clint Eastwood, whose previous film history would suggest him as the director most unlikely to bring a Broadway musical to Hollywood. But, he pulls it off admirably. Mainly by sticking to the proven formula used in the stage production. This includes, the actors addressing the audience. While this might sound strange or even satirical for a movie, it works. One of the taglines for the story is, "Everybody remembers it as they need to." And this is what leads to the different perspectives from the characters.

Frankie Valli is played by John Lloyd Young, reprising his Tony-winning role. He does a great job of sounding like Valli. I read that Eastwood didn't want to populate this movie with Hollywood types, he mainly used stage actors and it pays off. The actors playing Frankie Valli, Tommy DeVito (Vincent Piazza), Nick Massi (Michael Lomenda) and Bob Gaudio (Erich Bergen) sang all of the songs live on the set as the movie was being filmed. All of them, except Piazza, played the characters in one stage production or another. Christopher Walken as mobster Gyp DeCarlo is the only one I think of as a Hollywood type, but he is cast well for the part.

The movie doesn't have the same energy as the live play, but the performances are so good, you may find yourself wanting to applaud at the end of some of the numbers. They are just that damn good. There are a few slow parts in between the musical performances, but they add to the story. I have seen the play (though not on Broadway) and I would see it again. I would also see the movie again.

And now a few words from a guest reviewer (my wife Noelle who has seen the play twice and now the movie): 

What he didn't mention was that I saw the play twice in the same week.  I saw it on a Tuesday and liked it so much I went back on Thursday.  I think we are generally in agreement on the movie but I might like the play somewhat more than he did.  Okay, a lot more.  In fact, if you can get me tickets, I need some.  STAT.

Bottom line is: if you've seen the play and liked it, go see this movie. If you like The Four Seasons music, go see this movie. Even if you're not familiar with their music but you like a fun movie with good music, go see this movie. I would give the play 5 out of 5 stars and the movie 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment